Sunday, March 8, 2009

When the expectations are low...

Belfast.
Its not one of those top ten must see cities everyone is dying to travel to. Actually I think its one of those places people specifically avoid traveling to.


I had a ride and it was on the way to Corrymeela, and thus I decided to spend the night there and see the "tourist attractions".

The pride and joy of the city that millions are being poured into to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of is....... the Titanic. It was built in Belfast, and one of the great accomplishments of the city. If one gingerly mentions the fact that its most famous for sinking, the response is "it was floating when it left here". Oh what resilient people, they have to take pride where they can get it I guess.


The political murals is the other large tourist attraction. These date way back and are all over Ireland, but the ones in Belfast are the most famous. I was lucky enough to be shown the murals by the christian renewal centre's director and his wife, who were raised in Belfast. It was fascinating to hear the history of how 5 years ago it wouldn't of been safe for him to drive down some streets, and share how the town was divided, and the shame in the hatred displayed in the murals.
He showed me the "peace line", which is a humongous wall that runs along the divide. It has lasted longer than the Berlin wall. They still shut and lock the gates at night, both sides agreed it is still necessary.

I spent the night in a hostel, walked the hostel mascot dog in the botanical garden, ( I'm sure summer does wonders for the landscape), wandered around the university district and finally had a cup of GOOD coffee!!

I saw the oldest pub ( the third main tourist attraction) on my walk to the bus station the next morning and the newly renovated city hall, with a huge Ferris wheel set up for the titanic celebration ( 2012).

As it was my first city to conquer alone I was surprised to find it wasn't at all threatening and quite enjoyable to wonder around in silence without an agenda.

1 comment:

  1. Again I am so proud of you and your explorations! What a treat for you to be able to share them with us. Who was the lady in the first mural? It does not look so "threatening"
    Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete