Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Corrymeela

To tell you a little about the place I am staying;it is called Corrymeela and is the largest faith based center for reconcilation in Nothern Ireland. There are some paid staff, although the programs are organized and run by volunteers. There is a set of year long term volunteers ( LTV) who recieve training and then coordinate and run most of the activites for the groups that come to Corrymeela.The volunteers staff the kitchen, housekeeping, matienence, reception in addition to the facilitating the programs.

The LTV's are from all over the world, Sri Lanka,USA, India, Turkey, N ireland, Germany, El Salvador, England to name some. Then there are mid term ( germany, switzerland, and me!). The short term are people who live near and help on the weekend, or those that come for only a couple of weeks.

There really in no classification for the groups that come to Corrymeela. Every age group comes, some come with their own leaders, other groups ask for a program to be organized for them. Some are huge ( 100+) and long term, others are only a couple of hours and a few people. Diversity is definently the theme.

In the last week and a half, I have done everything from wash dishes, clean bed rooms, make tea, start coal fires ( that was an adventure and I still have soot in my hair!) , and participate in ice breaker games and tourist outings. I will begin to be with the groups more in the next couple of weeks as well, which I am excited about.

My favorite thing to do is watch the storms roll in towards the cliffs across the ocean, and then be swept back out ot sea when they are spent. The weather has been everything from blustery, sunny, hail, raining, all in one day, or cycling through these several times a day. It snowed my first day, which is rare, but it was on the ground for most of the day.
You can see Scotland across the ocean too!
I have taken day trips on a rusty bicycle or on foot to the surrounding sights when I have time off. The near by town is darling, with great pubs and fish and chips.
Everyday I am learning somthing new about what this place does and is, as well as the people and the country it is in. So life is good!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous14/3/09

    Good to see your Photo! we are walking and working out...looking forward to the top of Mt Hood..in gulp 8 weeks...

    Have been followng the riots in Belfast...be interested to get your perspective, reconciliation is tough...interesting that the French and German are great trade partners 40 years after they wiped out each other's country for the second time...but sme cultures wage wars fora millenium or more! Love you /DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came back from 4 days of SAR with the Portland Mountiain rescue--and all the stories of searches and body recoveries!! Not so convinced it is such a good idea to put our lives in jepordy for recreation when so many others have no choice but to live their lives in jeperdy. Just some thoughts to ponder?! You look great and like you are haveing a great time meeitn and talking with people

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot Happy St Patircks DAY!!
    Love you let us all know about the day in it's homeland! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to hear your 'wordy' thoughts...and I support keeping them wordy. I can't help but get a little worried when I hear about riots and you alone on the streets of Belfast, but you are street smart enough! Can't wait to see you again in person, but I hope time trickles by while you are over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous20/3/09

    Hey Friend!
    It's so good to read your thoughts on here... I am so glad you have this time, though I can't help but wish I was along with you!
    When will you be back in Oregon? Will you have time for a Vancouver trip before you head out east? I will be in Oregon in April, but I'm not sure if you'll be back...
    Enjoy this time!
    Love!

    ReplyDelete