Thursday, March 19, 2009

So a bit late, but a happy St Patrick's day to you all from Ireland!!

I must have brushed against some Irish luck because I got St Patrick's day off, which means I was able to take a trip to Derry, the second largest N Ireland town with 2 other volunteers.

The recent tension in the country made us pause, especially since there was talk of a missing 300lb bomb in Derry, some small riots, and the fact that "bloody Sunday" (yes, the U2 song was written about it) happened in Derry. It is a mainly Catholic town and the center of many of the "civil rights" movements of the troubles. But after contacting a local Derry resident who didn't feel there was any real threat and memorizing the names of streets to avoid we decided we had to go. When will I be in Ireland for St Patricks day again; it was an event not to miss!!

I did ask myself, if I were to get into trouble, and my family was contacted, would it be a "what was she thinking?!" type moment for them? I decided you would all understand that rumors and "what if fears" should not be the basis for missing out on an adventure.

I am oh so glad I went. My earlier comment about St Patricks Day not really being celebrated here was incorrect, as my information came from Protestant Irish. The Catholic Irish DO celebrate St Patrick's day in a MAJOR way. They are all out of school and every woman man and child in Derry were dressed from hairspray to toenails in Orange, Green and White. THey had leprachaun costumes and St Patrick ( think green pope) get ups. We went to a parade, saw some Irish dancing, and watched the masses as we did the tourist ventures.

There were signs of strife in the graffitti on some walls and paint smeared on churches. That was the extent of the conflict that we saw.


The city itself again has a facinating history and story, but too much to write here. It was surreal to go to museums dedicated to a conflict that was still taking place.

We had a fabulous time visiting the pubs that night, where we spent several hours elbowing for space ( let alone a pint) in a throng of celebrating Irish. Chatting didn't work as loud music, hundreds of people in a space made for 25 and thick accents made the conversations short with lots of shrugging and nodding.



We rode the train back to Ballycastle early the next morning grinning in our green tiaras, as a St Patrick's day in Ireland was truly had.

Several have asked when I return to the states, it will be the 11th of April. I can't believe my time here is almost up! I know every day has been fully lived, and yet it seems too incomplete to be nearing the end.



Thank you for all the emails and comments, It makes my day to hear snipets of life at home and know you are checking in on me!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous22/3/09

    Tiff:
    Sounds like a grand adventure. Too often we let fears of "might bes" prevent us from the richness of life. It is hard to tell the "might bes" from the "probably will" but am glad you took the chance and it worked...sounds like you had great preparation and caution....
    "Think Green Pope" what a visual, a great line really...concise...complete...and humerous all at once.

    Your family is thinking of you, keeps you in our prayers, and hope your (safe) adventures continue! Keep those advetures going! Mom will do the worrying for you!

    Love you...

    Dad and Mom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! So glad to you got to experience a real St. Patrick's Day. I hope you got some pictures, or that one of your friends did. Definitely seems worth documenting with photos.

    I know it seems like your time is going fast, but we all miss you and wish you a few more safe adventures and we look forward to your return. ;)

    ReplyDelete